Thanks for all the realy positive comments. I'm off to China this week on business for 10 days, so won't be doing any more building for a while !
I tried the stringers for size and found them very difficult to bend and twist them into shape at the bow. The chines are almost twice the cross section so I decided to have a go at steaming . I dug around in the garage and unearthed a wallpaper steamer, a length of large section plastic trunking and a roll of insulation.
Fairing the strem was always going to be tricky, but I spotted a powerplaner in a local store at < £30 and coudn't resist. This made all the difference. Sheet 2 of the plans show's a fairing line to be marked on the side of the stem and a triangular flat up the fwd edge. Just had to carefully angle the plane to take of the stock between these lines. I got it close with the power plane, before finishing with a trusty hand plane and finally a belt sander.
I knew I was tired last night. when I rechecked all the frame positions today, I found I'd fitted one back to front and another out of position.
Dropping the Girder in to place
All Glued up.
I saw on a boatbuilding forum, someone used slit sections of drainpipe as simple clamps. Worked great for these joints.
Wow has it rained today. Great to fill up the reservoir, but it's like the chinese water torture here in the shed as the roof leaks.
I obviously didn't the join between the nw and old shed roof's right !
Each frame is lined up on it's temporary support over the clear film sheet 2 and screwed down before squaring up and mounting on the building frame
Nice to see it taking a bit of shape
Lot's of careful measuring and fixing, but I'm going to check it all again tomorrow before I drop the girder in place !
Two evenings work marking, measuring, glueing, filleting, sealing, and planing the excess epoxy gets the main girder complete. 4 Stainless bolts added around the centreboard slot to strengthen it
Not as much progress as I'd hoped this weekend. There was a frost last night and the epoxy on all the girder framing did not harden completely overnight. I'm loath to move any of it until it is hard as some of the framing took a lot of bending and may move. I've had some heat on it most of the day and it's geting there now, but it meant I was limited in the jobs I could do.
The last two frames requiring doublers (frame 2 and the transom) need wider boards than the stripwood that I've had machined, so I cut several pieces to laminate up. I used an old teak bedslat ! for the transom doubler, to provide a bit more strength for rudder loads etc