Yes ! It's a tight fit but the board goes through the slot ! Still loads to do, but that's the last major hurdle I was worried about, so it looks like we're on for a launch Sat morning : )
I'd planned to rout a groove and lay a strip of unidirectional carbon down the centreboard, but wimped out and just sheathed them in 200g cloth. Hope it's strong enough !
Spent most of the weekend on a variety of bits and pieces.Cleared the building base out and passed them on to the next Farr builder Dan, which created a bit of space. Lot's of sanding - my hands are so sore !Finished the centreboard blank then got stuck straight into the rudder and finished it too. Both ready for sheathing.
More sanding on the decks and another coat of varnish. i'm still not satisfied with them, but I gota take it sailing soon so I think they'll have to do!
I also built a couple of ply boxes and carboned them to mount the control line cleats
I sheathed the foam panels with carbon cloth, filled and sanded the inner sides and glued the stock up, filleting the joints ready for further reinforcing with tape.
The hull is back in the shed for the last of the woodwork (port gunwhale) and is then ready for sanding
I'm hardly getting any time on the boat at the moment, with business trips, holidays etc, but picked up the centreboard tonight to do a bit more theraputic shaping, and ended up with a sticky black hand.
The graphite filled epoxy I'd filled the leading edge groove with has not gone off. The trailing edge is alright, it's just the last mix I m
I then spent a very messy hour trying to dig out the soft black gooee mess, yuk ! It was like clearing up an oil slick.
I remember mixing this epoxy in a hurry and not measuring or weighing it out properly- BIG MISTAKE.
Trouble is, the epoxy is so soft and sticky I can't get it all out of the groove and any left will bung up my tools, get everywhere and spoil my finishes etc aarrrgggghh
I've tried acetone but it doesn't seem to shift it all.
So much for boat building tonight, I give up now !
Filled the groove in the leading edge with Graphite filled epoxy, I added some colloidal silica to thicken it and hopefully prevent it all flowing around the leading edge curve and ending up on the floor.
I'll find out in the morning if it works !
More steaming today, the chines and inner gunwhales. Really looking like a boat now
Made a start on a core for the centreboard. I figured if I did this now, I can spend time shaping whilst waiting for glue to try between jobs on the hull. I began by building a strong flat building board (above) to ensure the cedar strips were glued flat, and to support the foil whilst shaping.
I've used 24x50mm WRCedar strips swapped end for end from the machined strip, glued up with a microfibre/balloon mix and clamped up with wedges.
It's gone really cold tonight and the last bit of glueing stil hasn't hardened after 48 hrs so I've brought the foil into the house to cure (shhh !).
I plan on following the c/board design guide by Trent Cornwall (link on the Farr site) and will use a NACA 0009 or 0010 aerofoil, an elliptical leading and straight trailing edge