Trimmed the first panel to match the chines and ensured all excess glue etc was removed along the centreline, then notched the panel at frame two and near the bow on the centreline to allow the mating panels to wrap over.
Having done the first panel the second went much quicker. Measured, cut, scarfed and glued it up on Fri night before the Olympic opening ceremony started, then steamed sat morning and glued it down sat afternoon between the road race coverage, ( really frustrating - wish I hadn't watched it)
At last, I've got the first bottom panel stuck down,
This is a milestone that I've been dithering and putting off. I was worried about getting sufficient clamping, particularly on to the stringers in the centre of the panel. I ended up putting a few screws into the stringers in between frames, supplemented by a gravity clamps (bricks)
Been away on business a couple of times and then spent 10 days with Sarah hiking the Tour de Mont Blanc, so have not had any chance to do any building. Not enough time and too many cool things to do !
Hiked over 100miles, climbed 9500 m of ascent carrying 16kg packs through 3 countries and met 12 nationalities doing the same, camping and staying in mountain refuges, what a great adventure !
Back to the plot, I did a bit of trimming of the bottom panel tonight ready for glueing
I've been putting this job off, but came back from '300 sailing early today as I just couldn't keep up with the others in the strong breeze - great sail though.
I cut some ply 'washers' to use to clamp the panel along the girder and dug out the wallpaper steamer to soften the panel
Turned out to be really straightforward. I'm pleased I took the trouble to steam it as this is quite a curvature. Next stage will be to mark the panel, remove it and trim it some more before co-opting some helpers to glue it down.