Not made so much progress this week. Fine weather at last so went cycling this weekend instead of boatbuilding !
Faired the other chine tonight though, and sealed all of the stringers and chines, so the hull's ready for sheeting now.
The steaming certainly works. These chines are 32x19mm and there is no way I could bend them into this curve without breaking. Pre steaming the curve and leaving them clamped overnight made the glueing up so much easier.
The inner gunwhales were much more difficult, and proved to be the trickiest task in the whole build so far. The problem was : there was so little to glue them to, just a small notch in the frame, the taper into the stem proved elusively hard to clamp, I ended up misjudging their curve and cut the gunwhales too short, and had to think hard to work out a means of clamping - cut up bike inner tubes worked great.
More steaming today, the chines and inner gunwhales. Really looking like a boat now
Made a start on a core for the centreboard. I figured if I did this now, I can spend time shaping whilst waiting for glue to try between jobs on the hull. I began by building a strong flat building board (above) to ensure the cedar strips were glued flat, and to support the foil whilst shaping.
I've used 24x50mm WRCedar strips swapped end for end from the machined strip, glued up with a microfibre/balloon mix and clamped up with wedges.
It's gone really cold tonight and the last bit of glueing stil hasn't hardened after 48 hrs so I've brought the foil into the house to cure (shhh !).
I plan on following the c/board design guide by Trent Cornwall (link on the Farr site) and will use a NACA 0009 or 0010 aerofoil, an elliptical leading and straight trailing edge
Back at last after a couple of weeks away on business. Great neighbours, and my daughter brought my next delivery of wood indoors out of the rain whilst I was away (no mean feat for 5m long packs) . I'd missed out ordering wood for the chines and inner gunwhales. While I was at it I've ordered some lengths to glue up into blanks for the foils
I trial fitted the inner gunwhales and realised that these need a greater gluing area than just into the notched frames, so I glued some additional blocks on. (bit too generous with the bog here, oh well !)
Fairing the strem was always going to be tricky, but I spotted a powerplaner in a local store at < £30 and coudn't resist. This made all the difference. Sheet 2 of the plans show's a fairing line to be marked on the side of the stem and a triangular flat up the fwd edge. Just had to carefully angle the plane to take of the stock between these lines. I got it close with the power plane, before finishing with a trusty hand plane and finally a belt sander.
I knew I was tired last night. when I rechecked all the frame positions today, I found I'd fitted one back to front and another out of position.
Dropping the Girder in to place
All Glued up.
I saw on a boatbuilding forum, someone used slit sections of drainpipe as simple clamps. Worked great for these joints.
Each frame is lined up on it's temporary support over the clear film sheet 2 and screwed down before squaring up and mounting on the building frame
Nice to see it taking a bit of shape
Lot's of careful measuring and fixing, but I'm going to check it all again tomorrow before I drop the girder in place !
Two evenings work marking, measuring, glueing, filleting, sealing, and planing the excess epoxy gets the main girder complete. 4 Stainless bolts added around the centreboard slot to strengthen it