Made a couple of card templates for the bottom and chine panels, then spent some time jiggling them around the ply sheets to ensure I have enough material for them all. It is going to be a squeeze and I need to make sure I leave enough for the inner side tanks.
Then marked and cut the first two panels, gulp!. I tried a quick trial fit and it is going to be a tight bend to fit the bottom panel around the bow, so I think I'll have to work out a way of steaming these
Next step is to scarf these first two pieces together. Need a bit more time before I have a go at that.
Not made so much progress this week. Fine weather at last so went cycling this weekend instead of boatbuilding !
Faired the other chine tonight though, and sealed all of the stringers and chines, so the hull's ready for sheeting now.
The steaming certainly works. These chines are 32x19mm and there is no way I could bend them into this curve without breaking. Pre steaming the curve and leaving them clamped overnight made the glueing up so much easier.
The inner gunwhales were much more difficult, and proved to be the trickiest task in the whole build so far. The problem was : there was so little to glue them to, just a small notch in the frame, the taper into the stem proved elusively hard to clamp, I ended up misjudging their curve and cut the gunwhales too short, and had to think hard to work out a means of clamping - cut up bike inner tubes worked great.
More steaming today, the chines and inner gunwhales. Really looking like a boat now
Made a start on a core for the centreboard. I figured if I did this now, I can spend time shaping whilst waiting for glue to try between jobs on the hull. I began by building a strong flat building board (above) to ensure the cedar strips were glued flat, and to support the foil whilst shaping.
I've used 24x50mm WRCedar strips swapped end for end from the machined strip, glued up with a microfibre/balloon mix and clamped up with wedges.
It's gone really cold tonight and the last bit of glueing stil hasn't hardened after 48 hrs so I've brought the foil into the house to cure (shhh !).
I plan on following the c/board design guide by Trent Cornwall (link on the Farr site) and will use a NACA 0009 or 0010 aerofoil, an elliptical leading and straight trailing edge
Back at last after a couple of weeks away on business. Great neighbours, and my daughter brought my next delivery of wood indoors out of the rain whilst I was away (no mean feat for 5m long packs) . I'd missed out ordering wood for the chines and inner gunwhales. While I was at it I've ordered some lengths to glue up into blanks for the foils
I trial fitted the inner gunwhales and realised that these need a greater gluing area than just into the notched frames, so I glued some additional blocks on. (bit too generous with the bog here, oh well !)